Translate

Wednesday 20 November 2013

Of Natural Nobility and True Monarchy

In my last blog I spoke of Sonia Gandhi, a most charming and engaging lady who was highly respected by her colleagues as well as by all of my staff. She showed friendliness and attention to everyone.


Another wonderful, gracious and thoughtful woman was Dame Jane Goodall, the "Chimp Lady." She brought her "companion chimp" with. I had heard that she travelled with him everywhere. To welcome her and her "companion," I set a place at the table for him. He had a cushion placed on his chair to allow him to be seen by all seated, and each course that was served had one that was specially made for him, albeit it nuts and leaves or bananas and berries. Dame Goodall was highly delighted, and displayed an amazing sense of humour. Her hosts were equally gratified at the reception we had given her, and her sincere appreciation of the trouble we had gone to. To show their own appreciation they doubled the useful amount they were offering to her fundraising effort. You probably guessed her companion was a stuffed toy chimp!

Over the past twenty odd years I have had many men and women come to Le Canard. Some remain indelibly set in my mind. I think the most impressive of all are those who retain their graciousness over and above their sense of importance. Certainly Her Royal Highness Princess Benedikte Ingrid of Denmark was a shining example of gentility and charm.
Another very charming, carefree and delightful woman who visited Le Canard, was Academy Award winning actress Marlee Matlin. She handled her hearing disability with cheer and smiles. She was so taken with the tablecloth on her table, which had been embroidered with ducks, that I had the plates removed, folded the cloth stains and all, and handed it to her as a gift. She couldn't have been more pleased when she was handed her Oscar.




I must here make my position clear on "naming and shaming." Criminals who don't abide by the law should be "named and shamed," but I prefer "naming" the good and gracious. I don't confuse disrespect for lawbreakers with social ineptitude!

Freda

No comments:

Post a Comment