Translate

Friday 1 November 2013

On Cultivating a Love for Good Music and Fine Art



Unfortunately I wasn't one of those kids who was born with the silverspoon in my mouth.  However, as I reached adulthood I developed a "champagne taste" but remained with a "beer pocket." I have been cooking and baking since the age of twelve, and have learned that when food is made with thought and care, it will be both tasty and satisfying. I learned about "Caviar", "Filet", "Cuisses de Grenouille" (frog's legs), etc., much later in life.

My taste, encouraged by my husband Henri, grew by leaps and bounds. I learned to recognise Bach from Beethoven, and both from Brahms. Along with acknowledging the classics, I have always loved the music of Frank Sinatra, Peggy Lee, Nina Simone, Fats Domino, Dinah Washington, Ray Charles, and a couple of others.

When it came to art, I had learned to appreciate Van Gogh, because my art teacher at high school was besotted with him. Personally I was entranced by him chopping his ear off, and other than Van Gogh, I liked attractive, pretty pictures. When I was relatively newly married, Henri and I were walking along Corlett Drive in Johannesburg, on our way to visit a friend. He suddenly stopped at what was then a shop selling second hand furniture and nick-nacks. Now it will probably be called an "antique shop." He had spotted a painting which he reasoned was interesting and really good. It wasn't very expensive he thought, and suggested we should buy it. "Where on earth are we going to hang this painting? It's hideous" I exclaimed. His love for his newly acquired wife was greater than his sense of quality art, so I won out and we didn't purchase an original Irma Stern! Thankfully over the last ± sixty years, my understanding of the arts has improved considerably. I am still not a fan of Irma Stern, but do now understand the importance of her work.

The great South African artist William Kentridge and his wife Anne Stanwix came for dinner at Le Canard. They were a most charming couple, and when they had finished their dinner I asked them if they would mind signing my visitor's book. The result you can see at the top of this page. Now his work I do understand, and would dearly love to own. Le Canard has a wall covered with photos of guests who have visited us. When asked which is my favourite photo, guess what is my response?

Freda 

No comments:

Post a Comment